Sign in to follow this  
LSx Drift

LSx Drift's LS1 S15 Complete Build - Now with dual rear calipers

Carla-1.jpg

Hi all, been a while in the making and getting the time to sit down and do a blog of the build process for our new drift car....after many late nights, early mornings and even longer days we finished it off.

Sit back and take a look at the project and love to hear your thoughts!!

Specs:

Jap Import Shell

Complete strip to bare metal

Inch welded chassis

Full Cams Approved Cage

Engine:

LS1

Valvetrain upgrade

Texas Speed Camshaft

Complete strip and rebuild

Upgraded Oil Pump

Fueled Racing/LSx Drift Custom Oil Sump with baffles

LS1 Manifold - soon to be replaced with LS2 Manifold and F.A.S.T throttle body

Drivetrain:

T56

Exedy Clutch

Exedy lightened flywheel

Aluminum Tailshaft

R32 GTR diff in S15 Craddle

R32 Half Shafts

Suspension:

K-Sport coilovers

Driftworks catalogue for everything else

Brakes:

370Z Fronts

Dual Caliper GTR rear setup

K-Sport Hydraulic Handbrake

Pedal Box twin master cylinder

Interior:

Cobra Seats

RPM harnesses

Custom center console facia

ARK Design Digital Dash

Momo Drifting Steering Wheel

Exterior:

ARK design Wheels 18x9.5

Origin Body Kit

What we started with:

S15-Build-1.jpg

S15-Build-2.jpg

S15-Build-3.jpg

S15-Build-4.jpg

After a morning of rip tear and bust car is back to a shell!

S15-Build-6.jpg

Advantage of having overhead cranes at work

S15-Build-7.jpg

Rotisserie time and bath to clean off all the Japanese dirt/scum

S15-Build-8.jpg

Time to start with the wire brush....and many a metal splinter

S15-Build-9.jpg

Followed by lots of welding and burns

S15-Build-11.jpg

S15-Build-12.jpg

S15-Build-14.jpg

S15-Build-16.jpg

S15-Build-17.jpg

Bit of etch primer to seal the surface because it was time for a holiday and come back to it in a month......

S15-Build-20.jpg

S15-Build-19.jpg

Time for tubs...

S15-Build-21.jpg

S15-Build-22.jpg

S15-Build-23.jpg

Fresh coat of jam on the roof

S15-Build-25.jpg

Top of roll cage started and dropped through the floor to weld....after I had finished the cage I actually had to redo the top bars for some more head room!!!

S15-Build-26.jpg

Lifted back up and started rear bar work

S15-Build-27.jpg

S15-Build-28.jpg

S15-Build-29.jpg

After the cage was finished it was time to give the underside some love

S15-Build-30.jpg

S15-Build-31.jpg

S15-Build-32.jpg

Finally the start of the end, the point where you can see all the hard work coming together!

S15-Build-33.jpg

S15-Build-34.jpg

S15-Build-35.jpg

S15-Build-36.jpg

S15-Build-38.jpg

S15-Build-39.jpg

Rear parcel shelf dealt with in case of fuel cell - Didnt just want the usual piece of floppy tinwork

S15-Build-40.jpg

Exterior goodness

S15-Build-41.jpg

S15-Build-42.jpg

Suspension time-Entire driftworks catalogue nearly..

S15-Build-44.jpg

S15-Build-45.jpg

All the bolt on goodies painted and ready for assembly

S15-Build-46.jpg

Coming off the rotisserie after a couple of long months

S15-Build-47.jpg

S15-Build-48.jpg

Test fit of the kit, can just make out the light at the end of the tunnel

S15-Build-49.jpg

S15-Build-50.jpg

Steering mod for the LS1 conversion

S15-Build-51.jpg

S15-Build-52.jpg

Shipment of goodies from the states....air freight can get costly!!

S15-Build-53.jpg

Engine rebuild time

S15-Build-54.jpg

S15-Build-55.jpg

S15-Build-56.jpg

The all important sump....BUILT FOR DRIFT

S15-Build-57.jpg

First run of the engine fitment

S15-Build-60.jpg

Required notch for fitment of headers to starter motor and steering shaft

S15-Build-83.jpg

Gearbox ready for fitment

S15-Build-84.jpg

Engine and Box combo

S15-Build-86.jpg

Looked like a good way to install it

S15-Build-87.jpg

Even better way

S15-Build-88.jpg

Tailshaft and mufflers in

S15-Build-90.jpg

New dash and fuse cluster

S15-Build-92.jpg

New MFD screen for engine vitals

S15-Build-93.jpg

Shifter location.....perfect

S15-Build-94.jpg

Seats

S15-Build-95.jpg

Interior complete

S15-Build-97.jpg

Pedal Box Assembly

S15-Build-98.jpg

Rear end complete and installed

S15-Build-99.jpg

370Z brakes setup-355mm

S15-Build-100.jpg

Engine bay finished

S15-Build-101.jpg

Pedal Box Setup

S15-Build-102.jpg

Finally finished and extremely happy with how it turned out

S15-Build-103.jpg

S15-Build-104.jpg

S15-Build-105.jpg

Here is a video link of the car, not a heap of footage available for us as its only made the one event(ADGP)....plenty more to come in the near future!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQTidFp1Lhk

For now that was the build, glad its over, ready to build another one but what next????

post-97653-0-02054800-1339059502_thumb.jpg

Edited by LSx Drift

Nah buddy, everything was done in-house, painting (brought a mate it to do the spraying), engine re-build, everything! Mike is a magician!!

Didnt appreciate the car till the build pics! Always nice to have a proper built car emerge from perth.

Nah no collie....tracks a bit how ya goin....got a photoshoot in a couple of weeks so will wait for that! Just redoing this blog too...trying to get some real pics up!!

Perfect. Seriously, this whole car just screams of beauty. You guys did an amazing job, should be really proud of this one :D.

Thanks guys :)

We have a new custom radiator and intake set up to come next (plus a few more hp's too ;) ), and we should be back out there drifting in late may!!

Edited by LSx Drift

great build mate, im doing the same conversion on my s15 theres a build thread on here too :), just got a few questions for ya

in those pictures what radiator and fans are you using? any dramas with fitting it or anything to watch out for?

also what sump are you using? im using a sikky one but we had to remove the sway bar, so also what sort of swaybar are you using?

any other tips or things to watch out for would be much appreciated, cheers

Hey Guys, we have used the Fueled Racing kit which has the baffled sump set-up in it, unlike the sikky and hinson kits they are the only ones with access to the Morosso sump designed for this application and it is under heavy patents covered by one of the largest companies in the car manufacturing business.

The Sikky kits I believe give you problems with the sway bars as they pull the engine forward in the bay, which doesn't give the perfect 50/50 weight distribution the Fueled Kits give. Fulcrum suspension actually emailed me the other day regarding the sway bars and they have created one which will probably work with your kits. Best to get in contact with them. Fortunately for us the kits we have dont need custom sway bars as they fit all aftermarket ones on the market.

With the radiator I have in the pictures, with a 16inch spal fan(one of the thinest and best performers) only just fits within the bay and standard radiator support. I am currently in discussions with a radiator company for this conversion at the moment, bare with me and ill get you some details hopefully within the next week.

cool thanks for that mate, yeah the sikky sump is a forward facing sump, i used to deal with fulcrum at my previous job so ill have to give them a buz when the time come

have you got a brand name of the fan, the radiator is an s15 sr20 alloy yeah? i was thinking of using an s15 alloy just with hoses to suit

Nah that radiator is a custom job from the states....not what i really wanted but it did the job for the one event...the fan is a SPAL, little bit pricey but worth the money in the end, they flow some big numbers and they come in really slim sizes!!!

f**king EPIC BUILD... outstanding work seriously!

Im going to buy that kit in the near future of you guys!!!

One question... The T56 shifter sits in perfect with the S chasis shifter hole? ????

THIS MAKES ME HAPPY!!! I was just about to cut my gearbox tunnel out!

wow..... truely awesome build.....

so much attention to detail...

perfect...

the only thing i will say : it's only the stickers that let it down in the end...

contact me if you would like a livery done! (i do alot of the v8 supercars etc.)

Hey mate

What did you do about fitment in regards to steering shaft/starter motor/headers?

Also, would it be too much to ask for a photo showing clearance between the radiator and pulleys? I'm trying to suss out if there'd be enough for a 53mm radiator and AU thermos

and I'm currently deciding whether to got the full kit from Sikky, or Fueled Racing in my S13, depends on which kit has more room for the radiator...

Cheers

Edited by S15Roc

Hey mate,

Yes I am a supplier for the fueled kits for Australia but don't take this as me trying to push there product, when I first started thinking about doing this conversion, as most people do, I did a lot of research regarding which kit to use. End result obviously was the Fueled one. Major reason was the sump as it is built to handle drift, not just another factory produced oil pan that misses the crossmember, it has baffles for constant oil pickup and fits the crossmember with no modifications and any after market sway bar fits. Secondly the kit was designed to create 50/50 balance of the car, unlike the other kits that pull the engine forward to get that clearance with the sump(closing the radiator to engine clearance also).

The kit fit perfectly, as long as you have some minor fabrication skills. The chassis had to be notched slightly to get clearance for the headers(got a stencil for this) and then the rack has to be moved roughly 42mm to the drivers side for the steering shaft to clear the gap in the headers. Simply just have to cut the existing brackets off and move them across, a machined spacer is provided to take up this movement in the rack ends. No effect on steering.

As for the radiator, I am working on this this weekend. I had a radiator like this made in the States but wasn't happy with the finished result, I put a 16inch SPAL fan on there, and this cleared but was a little close. Personally I wouldn't use anything but SPAL, AU fans are used because they are easy to get and cheap. SPAL will flow more CFM and aren't that expensive at the end of the day. The radiator you have may work with those fans but I'm unsure, probably have to cut the radiator support to move it forward.

If you want any more info just ask mate, happy to help.

Awesome build! Well done... I use and recommend spal fans, there not over priced and work!

Hey mate,

Yes I am a supplier for the fueled kits for Australia but don't take this as me trying to push there product, when I first started thinking about doing this conversion, as most people do, I did a lot of research regarding which kit to use. End result obviously was the Fueled one. Major reason was the sump as it is built to handle drift, not just another factory produced oil pan that misses the crossmember, it has baffles for constant oil pickup and fits the crossmember with no modifications and any after market sway bar fits. Secondly the kit was designed to create 50/50 balance of the car, unlike the other kits that pull the engine forward to get that clearance with the sump(closing the radiator to engine clearance also).

The kit fit perfectly, as long as you have some minor fabrication skills. The chassis had to be notched slightly to get clearance for the headers(got a stencil for this) and then the rack has to be moved roughly 42mm to the drivers side for the steering shaft to clear the gap in the headers. Simply just have to cut the existing brackets off and move them across, a machined spacer is provided to take up this movement in the rack ends. No effect on steering.

As for the radiator, I am working on this this weekend. I had a radiator like this made in the States but wasn't happy with the finished result, I put a 16inch SPAL fan on there, and this cleared but was a little close. Personally I wouldn't use anything but SPAL, AU fans are used because they are easy to get and cheap. SPAL will flow more CFM and aren't that expensive at the end of the day. The radiator you have may work with those fans but I'm unsure, probably have to cut the radiator support to move it forward.

If you want any more info just ask mate, happy to help.

Thanks for the detailed reply, it's hard to get advice from someone who has first hand experience with these kits in RHD cars...

In regards to the notched frame rail, is this avoidable if you ran a LHD starter? Like that offered by the Castlemaine Rod Shop (http://www.rodshop.com.au/trans_conversions/ap/ap130.htm)?

Could offer more room, so you don't have to space out the steering rack, and could run the headers closer to engine block also avoiding the steering rack?

Do you think this could work...?

Cheers